Lions are fascinating animals, but also generally misunderstood.
They’re called the “King of the Jungle” even though they live primarily in grasslands.
They’re on the English coat of arms, even though they aren’t naturally found in England.
So what do we know about these magnificent beasts? Prepare yourself for… LION FACTS!
1. Lions are the only cats with manes
This also means they are the only feline that you can tell the genders apart from a distance.
2. A lioness may mate with more than one male when she is in heat
This helps ensure she gets pregnant, to continue the pride.
3. Lions have the loudest roar of any cat
It can be heard up to five miles away!
4. Male lions may mate up to 100 times in two days to ensure that the female is pregnant
Each mating lasts only a few seconds.
5. Lions are the most social cat
Most cats are solitary, but lions live in prides that can have dozens of members, and they work together for the good of all.
6. When a new male takes over a pride they will kill any existing young cubs
This helps ensure their bloodline is the one that continues, and eliminates future rivals.
7. Lions have round pupils
Most cats’ pupils are slits instead, to help them see smaller prey.
8. The male lion’s penis has spines that point backward
During withdrawal of the penis, the spines rake the walls of the female’s vagina.
9. Lions sleep more than any other feline
They can sleep up to 20 hours a day!
Which fact surprised you the most? Know anything else interesting about lions? Let us know in the comments!